Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Rediscovering James Wilson



Lorianne Updike Toler

I came to the University of Pennsylvania Law School to study its first professor, James Wilson, based on a little re-discovery I made of an early version/draft of the Constitution he authored almost two hundred years ago.

Although I recently co-published all of Wilson's drafts of the Constitution (let me know if you'd like a copy), my research is headed in a bit of a different direction: I'll be collating much of the documentary history of state constitution-creation which gave raise to the formation of the federal constitution and analyzing it from a procedural perspective in a comparative study (a process in which James Wilson plays a central part).

That said, it is fun to find reminders of this remarkable man around the law school - a plaque at the school's main entrance, his portrait in the main hall, and, not pictured (coming soon), his breakaway desk, perhaps at which he wrote his illusive drafts...


1 comment:

  1. Lorianne,

    I stumbled across your amormonatoxford blog via Google and I was wondering what College you were in at Oxford. I'm currently in the process of applying for one of Oxford's masters programs and I'm having a hard time deciding on which College is best, as a Mormon female (I live out in DC)!

    Any insight you can provide would be fantastic! Thank you,

    Melissa
    plowman.melissa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete